For those of you who have been following along on my journey, you know that I’ve become burnt out from academia. Currently, on summer break, I’ve been doing some deep work on what I need and want for my life and career. I have lost faith in the academy and want to build something more for myself and others.
I’ve got a few side hustles going on (The Professor Is Out, The Leveraged PhD, Speaking, Consulting) and just recently refined my consulting into Ecopreneur.Coach. In order to be more accountable and (hopefully) show that it can be done, I am putting my journey out into the world. After quitting my tenure track position I have secured a 1-year visiting position. My goal is to build my business so that at the end of this contract I can choose to stay or leave academia.
I was going to wait until the 1st of July so that I had a nice clean deadline to hit however I believe the best goals aren’t made as new years resolutions and just like the 1st of January there is no magic in the 1st of July. I started this 12-month countdown on the 19th of June 2019. I have until 19th June 2020 to be a full-time entrepreneur.
What I did this month :
- Deep work on what I want my life to look like 1 year, 2 years and 5 years from now.
- Brainstormed business ideas
- Narrowed my business idea
- Offered free services to a friend to test my concept
- Narrowed my business idea some more
- Researched and purchased my domain name
- Set up the basics on my website
- Wrote my first blog post
- Joined Facebook groups related to my new venture
- Set up social media accounts for my new venture
- Wrote and scheduled 3 blog posts
Total costs June: $121
- Domain: $60
- Theme: $61
Total income June: $0
I had a lot going on this month (packing, social events, and some much-needed downtime/family time) so time spent on this side hustle was minimal. I did make some great headway and pitched to my first two clients. Here is a list of everything I did this month:
- Wrote and scheduled 4 blog posts
- Participated in discussions in Facebook groups (which is where one of my potential clients came from – she reached out to me after I commented on some else’s question)
- Scheduled content for Instagram
- Meet with a potential client over dinner
- Put together a customized package for said client
- Meet with a potential client via video call
- Put together a customized package for the second potential client
- Deep work on what my business will look like – still working on this one!
It is looking like one client will hire me. Stay tuned!
Total costs July: $0
Total costs YTD: $121
Total income June: $0
Total income TYD: $0
Subscribe to my Insiders email list to receive updates on my journey.